Black Holes: The Beginning

What comes in your mind when you hear the word BLACK HOLE, a giant hole in space-time? which sucks everything near it . Yes? Well almost 85% of people on the planet think so. Let’s have look on what the rest 15% think about it.

Gargantua: The Black hole in the movie Interstellar

The Birth

There’s something inherently fascinating about black holes. Maybe it’s that they’re invisible beasts lurking in space that sometimes rip passing stars in half and scatter their remains. Whatever it is, these strange cosmic objects continue to captivate scientists and laypeople alike.

But where do black holes come from? How do they form, and what gives them such awesome destructive power?

These bizarre objects arise like phoenixes springing from the ashes of dead stars. When massive stars reach the ends of their lives, the hydrogen that they’ve been fusing into helium is nearly depleted. So, these monster stars begin burning helium, fusing the remaining atoms into even heavier elements, up until iron, whose fusion no longer provides enough energy to prop up the star’s outer layers. These top layers collapse inward and then explode out as a powerful and bright burst called a supernova.

Yet, a small part of the star remains behind. Albert Einstein’s equations of general relativity predict that if this remnant has about three times the mass of Earth’s sun, the remnant star’s powerful gravitational force will overwhelm everything else and the material it’s made of will be crushed to an infinitely small point with infinite density, according to NASA. The known laws of physics can’t actually handle such mind-bending infinities. “At some point, they break down and we don’t really know what happens”, Bahcall said.

When is something considered a black hole???

When light can’t escape from a certain region of space time, due to its gravitational effect.
Now there object that light can’t escape (at least 99% of light gets absorbed) eg Vantablack but it’s not considered a black hole,why because the unlike a black hole this absorbs all the light due to it’s nano structure while black hole retains light.

How Galaxies are formed?

When a star too big goes supernova, later it becomes a black hole so the object too close to it are consumed by that black hole, and other object which are not “close enough”, which are out of reach of its gravity just stars spinning around it, thus forming a galaxy.

What Happens if they Collide?

Scientists around the globe have been scratching their heads on this one for decades, until 2015 when they actually detected such event.

If two black holes meet, the powerful gravity of each one will attract the other, and they will get closer and closer, spinning around one another. Their collective mass will shake the fabric of nearby space-time, sending out gravitational waves. In 2015, astronomers discovered such gravitational waves via the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

Black Holes are indeed mysterious and confusing sometimes , but the possibilities of finding something unexpected is always there.

We will further uncover all the possibilities and types of Black Holes and all the events and mysteries that revolve around it.

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Aayushi Vaish

An Explorer of the Infinite Multiverse . MS - Physics , Northeastern University.